Monday, June 15, 2009

Hi. Well our weekend ended with some excitement. My nephew, Dakota, hit a cow...yes a cow.. on his ATV at 1am Sunday morn. He lives in Mifflin. He was life flighted to Altoona hospital. I saw him yesterday. He is covered, head to toe, with road rash. He has a broken shoulder blade, rib and has a small brain bleed that is healing. He also has a huge laceration to his tongue...they decided not to suture it, the thinking is it will heal better on it's own. Poor guy, he looks pretty rough. The prognosis is a full recovery so he is going to be fine,,,just will have a an uncomfortable summer. Mindy and Barry, his parents, are holding up ok. It's not the call you want to get at 1am. Thank goodness it was right near their house. He was taking a route he has taken for years between his friends house and his own. This was a rogue cow in the middle of the road. The friend he had on the back is going to be fine, just some scrapes and cuts. Oh my 15 yr old boys can be exhausting!! I went to the hospital yesterday....a 3hr ride turned into almost 5hrs..I missed my turnpike exit and they are soooooo far apart up there I had to drive miles and miles to get off the stupid turnpike and turn around....AAHHH! oh and I got a speeding ticket on the way up and the policeman gave me directions to the WRONG hospital..nice. It was an adventurous morning. The whole drive up I was worried I would get a phone call from home saying Jed had a fever! He had a temp of 100 on and off Saturday eve. I was very worried it would get worse....It didn't.... yay! He is really tired and starting to bruise a lot. I think he needs blood. He is only on a half dose of chemo because his counts drop so fast on this drug and he has been on it for 2 weeks....I think they will probably stop it after his appointment tomorrow. Savannah, Mom and I leave tomorrow night so of course I am trying not to panic about his low counts. I explained to him that there is an airport very close to our hotel in Savannah and there are flights right into Harrisburg so I can be home fairly quickly if he gets a fever...I think that made him feel better. His stress about me being so far away is most likely making him feel worse.
SOOOO that's what's happening right now.
Exciting right??!!! oh my. The good news it that Dakota will make a full recovery.
Love Jed and Kristin

No comments: