Sunday, July 19, 2009

Hi ya. so the latest is..they added an antibiotic because the cefepime doesn't seem to be doing anything. They also added an anti-viral med just in case the sore in his mouth is herpes..no not that kind. Evidently it is a common thing with immune suppressed kids. They swabbed the sore and if it's negative they will stop that med. The other antibiotic that they added is vancomycin. He hasn't had that drug in awhile so I forgot that instead of an hour they have to run it very slow...2hrs or more because he gets red and itchy. Of course he got red and itchy. go me...I completely forgot. Sorry dude. He got benadryl and seems to be better. He is just staring at the tv with glazed eyes. His jaw is still swollen. They can't figure out why. It's not a tooth prob, but there is an infection in there somewhere, hopefully the new antibiotic will seek and destroy. Having no white count doesn't help the cause. They did start GCSF yesterday so the labs they draw tomorrow should be heading up. Fingers crossed.
I have read 3 books since Thurs night and am 1/3 rd of the way through my 4th. I don't sleep here too much because I am afraid I won't wake up if something important happens. Today after Danny left I fell asleep, in my book, for only about 5 mins and when I woke up I stared at Jed, I swear he was not breathing. I said "jed, Jed, JED.." and he said "geeze what do you want? you really freaked me out. I'm not dead." Later when I was talking to Danny on the phone Jed says "don't forget to tell him you thought I was dead" ....nice.
The little girl across the hall is back from the PICU. They took her there Friday eve. I think I told you about her, she has relapsed twice in the last 2 months. They are trying to get her into remission long enough to do a transplant but now she has a very bad type of pneumonia. But, she is back here so she must be fighting pretty hard. Our issues are minor compared to most of the kids up here, I am not making light of Jed's pain or suffering but it puts it all into perspective.
cancer sucks
Did I mention that we are watching cartoon network....that is ALL we watch. I have seen every episode of every show on this channel! I had to listen to CNN in my car on the way to pick up my bike yesterday to make sure nothing important happened. Nothing did. Well Cronkite died but he was old.
I guess that's all. No fever since 10am this morning.
Love Jed and Kristin

No comments: