Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Hi. today turned into a VERY stressful day. We went to clinic, his white count is only .6 and his ANC is 300. Not so great, we stopped all his chemo. We spoke to Dr Ungar about flu shots, he said no..Jed will not be getting any. Then we mentioned his eye site. He got very business like, and asked many questions. As he was questioning Jed it hit me like a Mac truck...you can relapse in your eyes. Jed's first clinic friend Dakota relapsed there as I remember. I thought I was going to pass out or throw up but had to stay calm I didn't want to scare Jed. Dr. Ungar did not say one word about that possibility. They made an appointment for him in ophthalmology at 2pm. He had his inhaled antibiotic but it was still only 11 am. We went to pizza hut and Kmart to kill time. The ophthalmologist tested Jed's vision many different ways. The more he tested him the sicker I felt. He REALLY has bad vision. His right eye is worse than the left. His pupils hardly dilate either. So anyway, they put drops in, did more tests, put him in a dark room with flashing lights and he had to tell where they were. Then the Drs called us in to say he needs glasses....duh but he also has damage to his optic nerve...in both eyes. We go for an MRI Thursday morning at 8;30am. They want to see details of the nerves in his eyes. At 2:30 the same day he will get fitted for glasses. He is not concerned about wearing glasses but being the smart cookie he is he listened to everything the drs said and his question was "will the nerve damage keep getting worse?". Their answer was "we don't know". He is acting very brave but you can tell he is very worried. They did mention relapse but never followed up with any info about that and I didn't ask, without Dr. Ungar there I didn't want to discuss it. So basically we left there with, his vision SUCKS, he needs glasses, he has nerve damage but the bad vision could be a completely separate issue, they have no idea what the problem is and we have to wait until Thursday to find out anything. To make it all more fun I am finally going back to work tomorrow. After all the crap, I have to be there at 6:45 am so their doc can release me. I will work tomorrow and then I will have to take an occurrence on Thursday.
Danny is in Nebraska...now I am not so jealous that I'm not there! He is tired and just wants to come home.
Our lives go to such extremes....so quickly..never boring here. I am looking forward to boring. My thinking is, this eye issue , many people related to Jed wear glasses so he was going to have to have them no matter what. The nerve damage is from chemo and as he finishes treatment and his body recovers so will the optic nerves. There, end of story. I will keep you all informed.
Love
Jed and Kristin

No comments: