Monday, August 24, 2009

Howdy. So we are home from our Chincoteague adventure. It was a blast. The beach is awesome, the food rocks, the town is so cool and the boys we so much fun to watch. We left on Tuesday morning and were there by noon. My mom and Grace came down later Tuesday eve and we all went to dinner at a nice seafood (of course) place. The boys had fun in the surf. Even at it's calmest it was rough for Jed but I took him out beyond the breakers and he had fun "jumping" the waves. DJ did some boogie boarding and they both flew kites and played in the sand. The 3 of us went on a boat tour around the island and between Chincoteague and Assateague. We saw dolphins, ponies and an eagle. Captain Dan...really, that was his name...he gave us lots of history and some stories of the islands. The boys LOVED the ride. Friday night I took them and Grace over to Ocean City so Jed could eat at Hoopers, ride some rides, play in the arcades and hang on the boardwalk. Jed got tired very quickly so we just got some Fishers caramel popcorn and Dumser's milkshakes and came home. Mom and Grace left Saturday afternoon. Hurricane Bill was heading up the coast and the surf was too rough for the beach so the boys and I headed back to OC for them to do the stuff they missed the night before. At 2pm we headed across the bridge off the island. We stopped for gas and when I came out after paying, the sky was black in the area we were headed to and there was lightening. We decided to not risk going, we really had no idea how bad it would get. So we decided to go to Asseteague and check out the big surf. Lots of people doing the same and a few stupid people that must not know red flags on the beach means no swimming...people even had their kids out there...nuts! The waves were much bigger than usual but the big problem was the rip tide. It was just so rough. We watched for awhile and then hiked to the light house. We all did the 175 steps to the top! Jed held on and took his time but he made it all the way up and down! I was amazed. The view was awesome, we made it up just in time, after us they closed it down because of lightening. When we left the light house the sky looked much clearer over towards OC so we decided to try again...those arcades were really calling them!!! I had my car serviced 2 weeks before we left for vacation. They did the 50,000 mile service, checked everything and rotated the tires. Ever since we got it back there has been some vibration in the front. I figured it was from the tread on the tires and would calm down as the tread evened out. When the boys and I headed to OC on Saturday the vibration got progressively worse. It ended up being so bad I was starting to panic. I slowed from 70 to 60 to 40. There are just not any garages anywhere! I finally found an auto parts store who sent me to a Goodyear service center. The mechanic took it for a test drive and then called me into the garage. I thought it was my breaks but the guy said they were fine then he showed me the left front wheel. With his FINGERS he took off 4 of the 5 lug nuts! The whole wheel was so loose he said we would not have made it 20 more miles! I thought I was going to be sick but I couldn't melt down with the kids there. They tightened all the lug nuts, checked everything and only charged me $25. It felt like a new car driving it off the lot with tightened lug nuts. Crisis averted we headed for that darned arcade on the boardwalk. They finally got to play! I sat on a bench and watched all the weird people. It started to lightening and after about an hour the rain started. I herded the boys out and we booked it to the car. BUT wait, we had to stop in the rain so they could get Thrashers fries and Dumsers milkshakes! Nothing like soggy fries! As we headed out of the parking lot the tide was in and with the surge the water was coming into the parking lot! Just as we pulled out of there the sky opened up. It POURED!!! But we sang songs and trekked home. They were very full and very tired! Sunday morning while I cleaned and washed the sheets and towels the boys packed the car and played with the minnow traps in the drain thing next to the house. They thought it was so cool that when the tide came in it filled all the way up, a jelly fish even came in once...then got sucked back out later! we made it home without incident. Dropped off D safe and sound. It was a good time. I hope I get to take them again sometime. Boy did they eat!!!
I was to go to work today but Friday while we were gone someone from Harley called me. Savannah gave me the number and this lady proceeded to tell me I flunked the "fit for duty" test I took the week before. Nothing like adding a little work crap to our vacation. I went in this morning and there was a big thingy about me and my insurance and seniority. I had my union steward and he called the chief shop steward, the medical person was there, someone from HR too. What a cluster.....,,you know what I mean. It was a mess. they have this new policy but no one thought beyond the test. If you fail the 1st one you can be retested, but if you fail the second no one has an answer as to what happens next. They have no follow up procedures for the new policy. In the middle of this fun debate one person tells me I have an additional test to take after I take the retest of the 1st one. At first she doesn't want to say what the test is...then she spits out that I have to be drug tested. I don't really care but it seemed like they just randomly decided they wanted it. The shop steward was not happy. He filed a grievance and got all my paper work and got me an appointment to take the retest at 1pm today. The part I "failed" was the push-pull.....i need to hit 80lbs, the test said I only hit 75. On the retest I was over 100. So--all better! For now. I know what they are trying to do. I understand that I am a liability to them right now but that is temporary and we are so close to the end of all this shit...sorry...stuff. My big worry was that if I was not back at work by today I stood a chance to loose my insurance....geeze would that be a mess and also loose my seniority!! According to all i am set and can return on Wednesday. I feel kinda bad because after all this I am only returning for 10 days. I am going back on leave until Jed is completely finished with treatment and settled in school. I plan to be back full time before Christmas. Oh yeah. I have to say being home with the kids has been a gift in the middle of all the crap.
Savannah started college today!! She is a Penn State student. very cool.
Danny was in Vegas this morning and was headed to the Grand Canyon....he just called he is in salt lake city. There was a very bad storm and he had to go around it. He decided to save the grand canyon until we can take Jed! He should be home before Sunday. I think he has had enough!!!He wants to just get home.
Tomorrow we have clinic.
Well I guess i have written a book! It was tough not having Internet all week! The cell phone reception was a little iffy at times too!
Jed starts school on the 1st. He has his backpack and lunch box all ready...even though he will only be staying for a couple of hours a day until around the holidays! We had to stop and check the teacher list today to see who his teacher is...he has Mr. Phillips. Don't know him..guess I will.
Ok, really gotta go
Love J & K

1 comment:

Becky said...

Holy snikes on the tires! And yes, enjoy the gift of being with your kids, no matter what the circumstances.
xo