Wednesday, March 18, 2009

This is a copy of a journal by the father of a little boy in Australia. This child had "standard risk" ALL but then he relapsed, finished that treatment, got meningitis and had a stroke. They just found out he has relapsed again. It is so heartbreaking. He is 6 years old



We sat alone for awhile, it was mostly dark but strangely I could see what he would look like as a beautiful young man. Soon he began to talk.
“I want to give up”, he said. “I want to give up. I want to give up now. I want to give up.” When he had finished I said, “Nathaniel your mother and I are NEVER EVER going to give up. We are NEVER going to stop fighting.” He stopped for a while and whispered something I couldn’t hear. And then louder “I Just Want to be a Normal Kid!”
Then he pulled himself up, straightened his head, looked at me and said, “I’m alright now”.
And so he has been.
Sometimes I feel I’m talking to someone much older. But saddened to think that such a small child should know both despair and redemption.

No comments: