Sunday, November 29, 2009

Hey. Definitely making progress here in the Bat Cave. Today mom and Dad were here. He woke up and talked to them. Grace and Jim came also. Jed was awaking and talking to everyone for quite some time. He took a nap for awhile and then woke up asking for his computer. He worked on his christmas list! Much better than last weekend, last weekend was so bleak and dark..not this weekend! He got platelets again this morning. His counts are continuing to fall. Waiting for counts to come up is what we do...and we are well practiced at it. The good side of that is the chemo is effective in his system. I always worry about kids who rarely have issues with counts. To me the fact that the counts fall and struggle to return means that the chemo is doing a good job. Maybe that's not how it is but it always feels that way to me. He is still not eating and still cannot stand up on his own but he is getting better. my secret hope is that because this is dragging on, maybe it will work out that our break between chemo treatments will be the week of Christmas. If we are home I am still doing our Christmas eve dinner I am just not going to cook. I will get stuff pre-made. Sam's club has awesome little appetizers. I love our Christmas eve. The deal is no one has to say they are coming and anyone that has nowhere to go or needs an excuse not to go somewhere comes to my house. You know..you don't want to go to crazy aunt melba's christmas eve so you tell her Oh I am so sorry I am already commited to going to kristin's that eve. Or even better this year, "oh, I really have to go to see Jed on Christmas eve, but thanks for the invitation"! see we come in handy! Last year was great we had 13 or 14 people which might not seem like a lot but my house is not that big. It was awesome. I hope we have even more this year. I guess I will have to move my treadmill out of the dinning room for the evening. I actually miss it...did I just say that? So anyway if you have no place to go on Christmas eve and we are not in the Bat Cave stop on by, it's crowded and crazy but fun and relaxed. you can come for 10 mins or a few hours. We don't care if you eat with your fingers or sit on the floor..it's all good at the Buckley-Smith-Slatton abode! I think Mr Jim is going to pick up our tree again this year. He usually takes Jed for me and they pick it out, bring it home and set it up. So I can decorate it. Mr. Jim has also hung the garland on my porch for the last 2 years. The tree has to be a bit smaller this year in anticipation of more visitors...and the fact that I get claustrophobic when the tree takes over the living room. I cannot wait to see my porch with the pink and white lights and bows, our sparkley tree and my dinning room...filled with pink and white lights, pink and green antique decorations and lots of gold beads and jewels. I guess the extent of my decorating will hinge on how long I am home before and how long I have afterward to put it all away. I better stop. I don't want to get too excited just in case we are here. Oh my, that would so suck. I know our friends in Texas will be in the middle of waiting for the pretty new cells to engraft so they will not only be inpatient they will be on isolation...that sucks. We will have them in our thoughts.
It would be nice to not miss Christmas morning at our house & especially Christmas breakfast at mommo and hops. Like Jed would say "HHHMMMM, buckwheats"! That is our traditional Christmas brunch. Well fingers crossed and if it doesn't work out that way we will make the best of it.
I have rambled on long enough. I have some stretching to do..trying to fool myself into thinking I won't gain weight...hhahaha. Where's the cookie I saved from lunch? Oh, crap I already ate it.
Everyday is a little better.
Love Jed and Kristin
Jed has decided that we are having Thanksgiving on St. John next year. That is our goal. I am having trouble convincing him that Eco-Tents are way cooler than a Villa! My brother has spoiled him & has taught my kid to like his creature comforts.

6 comments:

Atom said...

At work again but thinking of you both ! Villas rule ...... but if you want the eco tent I am sure Jed and I could come down and pick you up each morning !!

Anonymous said...

Spent my share of time in tents,wish you well kid,i'm with Ad,Villas rule.love Hop

Becky said...

When we honeymooned in Costa Rica, we signed up for the tents, but it was the off season and we got a villa for the price of an eco-tent. Now that I know the difference, I'm all about the villa myself....

J. Perewitz said...

Glad there is some positive progress!

Anonymous said...

I really, really hope you guys gets to be home for Christmas! Sounds like a lot of fun!

Thinking of all of you -
Lisa and Thomas - Austin, TX

Tiersa said...

I think we should get Jed a butler to serve him drinks and appetizers on the veranda of that villa (oh wait that's what Uncle Adam is for! LOL!)while getting him a massage