Monday, January 4, 2010

So we worked on arrangements today. Really completely unreal. I also saw my Jeddie for the last time today. The thought that I will never see his happy shiny face again is more than I can bear. I stared at him for the longest time, waiting for him to do that thing where he tries not to smile when he is pretending to sleep...he just cannot NOT smile! I waited, waited for an eye wiggle, a little lip twitch...anything. But, there was nothing. Just his sweet face. Am I really expected to just keep going? Am I supposed to just go back to ..well exactly what am I supposed to "go back to? All I want to do is hang out with Jed. I want to do the stuff that Jed and I do. Will things always be this weird? Savannah and I got our hair cut today. When we were leaving Danny called to remind us to meet at the funeral home. I had to stop myself from asking who Jed was staying with while we all went to this meeting. Tonight Savannah was talking about where the family sits during the service, I said "just make sure Jed is on the aisle so I can get him out quickly if he doesn't feel well". Yeah, so anyway that is about where my head is. None of this is real. I have no desire to live in the "real" anymore. What is the point?
The service is Saturday at 1pm. When we have everything finalized I will post all info. Have I mentioned how WRONG this is? Just so , so wrong. Where is my son? Why is he not here, with me, hanging in his room, playing Wii in the living room, riding to the game store, headed to the Pride for his fried shrimp basket, getting ready to go back to school, why can he not be here? What was the point of making him suffer and fight so hard to just die anyway? There is no way you can give me an explanation that would make sense. I cannot think any further ahead than the service...after that everything looks gray, nothing but nothingness. I think about how truly devastating this is and how thoroughly I am crushed, I start to cry and then I realize that crying is a pathetically insufficient way to express how i feel. My despair and pain is so deep there is no way to physically express it correctly. I hurt for all the other people that are loving and missing Jed but honestly no matter how much I love these people and how much I worry about their suffering I feel empty and just uncaring. I want to be angry but Jed didn't do angry so that just falls flat, like I said I start to cry but it is so insufficient, I want to scream and wail but that takes more energy than I have. Mostly I just feel empty, dreary, pointless, lost and confused. Really how can he be gone,,,,honestly, have you seen his smile? have you heard him chatter for hours? have you heard his smart comments? Have you heard him express concern for another sick child? If you have experienced any of these things then you have to know, like I do, that there is no way he can be gone. It is just not possible and who ever decided it was ok for him to really be gone was a dumb ass or just plain mean. I want nothing, I just want my son back
on the other side of all of this I have to say that Savannah is amazing. I am floored by her abilities.
i need coffee..no really i just need my baby Jed
Love J & K

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have every right to be angry and to feel all the emotions that you are feeling. Keep letting them out through the blog as it will help you and help all of us to know how you feel. Please don't feel that crying is insufficent. We are human and we only have so many ways to express our feelings. No matter what is said, you are still one of the most amazing people that I have ever met and Jed was turly blessed to have you by his side each and every day.

Anonymous said...

Kristin--

Your strength in this time of immeasureable despair is truly astounding. You will always have Jed in your heart and you'll start to see him in your day-to-day. His energy will live on.

Savannah said...

Those lights that dimmed, you saw them. you know that happened... he's still with us mommy. he's playing, teasing, warning and reminding. One day he's going to move your orange juice container from the counter to the table and you wont even know it. He'll help you find those things that you misplaced and keep that cop from pulling you over.
Renee has her rainbows and soon enough you'll discover what Jed has picked out for himself.
I'm not okay with this either, I want my brother back more than anything. I can't really grasp the fact that he wont see me graduate from college, be at my wedding, hold my babies (which i know he'd SO love) and I wont get to watch him grow up. I wish I could do all the things I never did when he was here, but this is what we were given and we can't change it no matter how hard we cry, how loud we yell or how much we dream.

So I'll keep talking to him because he's listening... he proved that this afternoon. I love you mom.

Anonymous said...

Kristin,

Your loss is completely devastating. I feel for you and your family like you can't imagine. Kimberley and I are sitting here reading your posts with tears in our eyes (well, she is, I am being "tough"), while our children sleep in their rooms and we feel a pain so deep because we know how truly fragile life is. I know you don't want words or wisdom. You just want your son. As you say... you work towards Saturday and then take it day by day - but it will never be the same. If you need to talk or you need anything from us out here on the West Coast, please call or email.

Tony Sheppard
tonykimsheppard@yahoo.com or 805-492-6232.

Anonymous said...

Car rides are the best time to scream, scream crying! trish

Becky said...

Scream. Be Angry. Let it out.

Remember when I called you right before Jed went into the hospital in November, you said the only way you were going to get through this was just taking it step by step, not looking too far ahead. Keep it up. That's still going to get you through.

Love you. See you Saturday.

jim mcwilliams said...

Jed loved coming to our house and playing in the creek that runs through our yard. He loved swimming in our pool; the pool we have only because he wanted one. He loved going for walks in the woods surrounding our house. He loved helping me feed our beagles (his and mine). I can see him every where I look. I see his hands as he meticulously measured the amount of food for each hound. I see him sorting through the creek bottom for "treasure" to give to his mother when she picked him up. I can see him everywhere I look and the realization that I won't ever be able to kiss his head again and tell him I love him is the most empty feeling I've ever had. Jed's legacy with me is the better person he made me. He is the most courageous little man
I'll ever know. He made our lives complete and gave me a reason to hope the world can become a better place. It sure was, with him in it. I can't possibly realize the hurt you must be feeling, Kristin but I know you'll find the strength to get through this; certainly along with Jed you're the most courageous person I know.

Marianne wilke said...

I am so very sorry for your loss. Beautiful children like Jed should not have to fight so hard only to lose their life. No parent who has fought so hard to keep their child safe should have to be forced to say goodbye this way.

The way you describe what such a huge loss feels like rings so true to me. My 9 year old daughter died in August after a tough fight with cancer, and reading your words were like going through those first few weeks all over again for me.
I just wanted you to know that there are a lot of people out there who think of you and your wonderful son. I know that thought has helped me over the last 5 months.I will be thinking of you all...

hugs Marianne

www.caringbridge.org/visit/anikawilke

Anonymous said...

im SO sorry for you

Katie said...

I'm sitting here trying to think of something brilliant to write and I can't. I know nothing I can say is going to make anything better.

I'm thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Kristin, Savannah and Danny,
Our family extends our deepest sympathy to you all. We kept tabs on Jed thru Grace and Jim. Evan just loved the visits from Jed when Grace would bring him to Mom's house. His spirit is an inspiration to us all...and one that will stay with us forever.
Thinking of you,
Nicole, Jim and Evan Zinzi

Anonymous said...

Your comments were so right on -- it hurts to the very core. But Savannah is right, they are here and we will never forget. Time marches on and somehow we must also - Renee, Marc and Jed would want it that way. xxoo

J. Perewitz said...

Savannah is right, Jed will always be with you!
Keep letting it all out Kristen, I like the suggestion of a car ride.
I am so sorry once again for your loss, life just isn't fair sometimes.