Thursday, June 3, 2010

A friend sent this to me...in 7 minutes it will be 5 months since I have seen his sweet face and held his soft hand...oh Jeddie

A Grieving Mother's Manifesto

This is my path. It was not a path of my choice, but it is a path I must walk mindfully with intention. It is a journey through grief that takes time.

Every cell in my body aches and longs to be with my beloved child. I may be impatient, distracted, frustrating, and unfocused. I may get angry more easily, or I may seem hopeless. I will shed many, many, many tears. I won’t smile as often as my old self. Smiling hurts now. Most everything hurts some days, even breathing. Just sit beside me. Say nothing. Do not offer a cure. Or a pill, or a word, or a potion.

Witness my suffering and don't turn away.

Be gentle with me.

Please, self, be gentle with me, too.

I will not ever "get over it" so please don’t urge me down that path. Even if it seems like I am having a good day, maybe I am even able to smile, the pain is just beneath the surface of my skin. Some days, I feel paralyzed. My chest has a nearly constant sinking pain and sometimes I feel as if I will explode from the grief. This is affecting me as a woman, a mother, a human being. It affects every aspect of me: spiritually, physically, mentally, and emotionally. I barely recognize myself in the mirror anymore.

Remember that grief is as personal to each individual as a fingerprint. Don't tell me how I should or shouldn’t be doing it or that I should or shouldn’t “feel better by now.” Don't tell me what's right or wrong. I'm doing it my way, in my time. If I am to survive this, I must do what is best for me.

Surviving this means seeing life’s meaning change and evolve. What I knew to be true or absolute or real or fair about the world has been radically challenged so I'm finding my way, moment-to-moment in this new place. Things that once seemed important to me are barely thoughts any longer. I notice life's suffering more- hungry children, the homeless and the destitute, a mother’s harsh voice toward her young child or an elderly person struggling with the door. So many things I struggle to understand.

Don’t tell me that “God has a plan” for me. This, my friend, is between me and my God.

Those platitudes seem far too easy when slipping from the mouths of those who tuck their own child into a safe, warm bed at night: Can you begin to imagine your own child, flesh of your flesh, lying lifeless in a casket, when “goodbye” means you’ll never see them on this Earth again? Grieving mothers- and fathers- and grandparents- and siblings won’t wake up one day with everything ’okay’ and life back to normal. We have a new normal now.

Oh, perhaps as time passes, I will discover new meanings and insights about what my child’s death means to me. Perhaps, one day, when I am very, very old, I will say that time has truly helped to heal my broken heart. But always remember that not a second of any minute of any hour of any day passes when I am not aware of the presence of her absence, no matter how many years lurk over my shoulder.

Love never dies.

So this year, on Mother’s Day, don’t forget that I have another one, another child, whose absence, like the sky, is spread over everything (C.S. Lewis).

Don’t forget to say, “How are you really feeling this Mother’s Day?” Don’t forget that even if I have living children, my heart still aches for the one that is absent—for I am never quite complete without my child. And because love is much, much, much bigger than Death.

4 comments:

Becky said...

Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

how can one comment on something so succinct? it cuts right to the broken heart of the matter. Forever yearning and missing his sweet self,no respite, for those who loved him.Mommo

michele said...

Kristin,

Thank you. I can't remember ever being that touched by someone's words.

The other day while I was shopping I saw a woman who was SO VERY patient with her little girl. Helping her pick out a birthday gift for her friend. It took the little girl forever to decide, and the mother smiled and nodded and was so loving towards her child. I went up to the mother and told her what a wonderful job she was doing and how much her child appreciates it, even if she couldn't verbalize it.

I would have never thought twice about it before, (and certainly not approached the mom) but you and Jed have given me so much to think about and a keen appreciation for other people.

Thank you both!

Mickie

Dr. Joanne Cacciatore said...

I appreciate you posting this. It is authored by me, Dr. Joanne Cacciatore, and is an excerpt from my book Dear Cheyenne. I dont mind sharing this, however, I would greatly appreciated recognition of the author for a copyrighted piece. I wrote it for my own dead child. Thank you so much for your consideration.