Monday, August 23, 2010

1st day of 6th grade. August 2009. The backpack he is wearing is the one I am using for school now. It says "JED" on it.
So I lived through my first day. A girl next to me said she was so nervous she thought her heart would explode....I said "oh that sounds lovely". Oops, better save the crazy until at least the second class. I just told someone that when you really don't care much one way or another you suddenly turn golden. I have walked into traffic, run red lights, licked the top of soda cans (after my dad sent me the email about the lady that died). Nope I'm here to stay. yay me. Jed did manage to send me some signs to tell me I'm doing the right thing....at least I think that is what he means. I wish he would just talk to me. I'm a bit too dense to grab all the signs. But here's what I did get:
First off...I think he did this as a sick joke but in my 1st class the professor randomly started talking about fungus and fungal infections for about the first 10 mins of environmental science. If I had been closer to the door I would have bolted. Then all of a sudden when I looked up I realized he was wearing a butterfly tie and he starts talking about how much he loves butterflies and raises them!!! Who does that? oh and his room number was 2-29...Jed's birthday is the 29th.
My second class, business law, the professor is talking about his many marvelous accomplishments, all of a sudden he stops and looks at everyone. He says " I also used to help to save abused kids. I was a child advocate for the court system. Don't ever do that job it is absolutely horrible". Um...so, how did he know that is what I have been talking about doing? Not sure how that "sign" works but it was such an out of the blue comment that it grabbed my attention. My 3rd class, business software, a girl got up from the other side of the room and sat next to me. She said the computer at the other seat did not work. I looked down and her entire ankle and calf were covered in butterfly tattoos. Then someone else sat down in her old seat and the computer worked fine. Oh and this professor's name is Thomas.
So those are my signs from Jed. You can think I'm nuts...I am, but that stuff is pure Jed. :)

With the exception of the girl who had the "broken" computer the odd occurrence I have at the start of EVERY class I have ever taken continued. NO ONE will sit next to me until the ENTIRE room is full and they have no choice. I don't understand. I am fairly sure I keep the crazy covered pretty well. I just don't understand. In my first class the person that was forced to sit next to me was a guy who had to be in his 50s, he walked with a cane, he has something majorly wrong...like he was in an accident or something. His face is crooked and odd. He was very nice and he seemed to want to attach himself to me ....OF COURSE. (I am a magnet for old weird guys). He wanted to know when all my other classes were. Lucky me. I had a grudging admiration for him. It takes guts to do this, especially if you are even slightly different than the majority of the other students. The thing that really freaked me out was that he was hacking and coughing and choking the whole time. AAAHHH I still have a germ phobia. YAY me.
I won't even go into the whole run in with the campus police and my illegal left hand turn out of the parking lot. He didn't give me a ticket but he did take his revenge on me when I came in for my picture ID. He was manning the camera. The worst picture I have ever seen of me and that is difficult to do. His comment, "No do overs" smile, wink. Of course there was no way I would have a normal, uneventful day. Nope not me.
I get to do it all again on Wednesday...and the next Monday and the next Wednesday...etc
Oh Jeddie. I SO wanted to come home and tell you all my stories so you could do your giggle thing where you tease me and laugh. I almost called from the grocery store on the way home to see if you wanted steak and mashed potatoes. :( I caught myself before I hit "send". Thanks for all your help today....don't stop...I need a lot more! Missing you desperately, thinking of you every second. I'm gonna work hard and move fast and get to you as soon as possible. Mommy loves you
Love J & K

2 comments:

Becky said...

You old crazy lady....proud of you.

Anonymous said...

always impressed with your slightly skewed look at life....L