Sunday, August 8, 2010

oh yeah baby...room service burger
Jed and one of his Favorite things...room service!!

A cancer kid mom in Australia, that I talk to on Facebook, had a status update yesterday about having KFC for her daughter's birthday dinner. A guy actually left a comment giving her crap about feeding her kids KFC. He reprimanded her, saying that feeding sick kids stuff like that will make their disease worse. He told her that his son is still alive after neuroblastoma because his wife cooks everything his kid eats. He then told this mom that she should follow a recipe his wife uses for chicken strips, they are much healthier. I am the first to agree, organic and fresh is the way to go but when you have a child that doesn't eat or only craves certain things because of meds they take....you feed them whatever they want. KFC did not kill my son, nor did the pizza or fried cauliflower..cancer killed my son and the only thing I have figured out over 9 years of being involved in this hell is that it is controlled by 1 thing....luck. There is no rhyme or reason as to which kid gets sick and which doesn't, which sick kid lives and which one does not. I have seen both sides. I have watched parents do all the research and do everything as right as they could and their kid died. I have also seen parents that do nothing to help their child. They do not stay in the hospital with them...some even go on vacation while their kid is getting chemo. The last thing they were worried about was what their kid was eating....that kid is fine. Doing well and growing up. So really the organic milk Jed drank gallons of did not keep him alive anymore than the kfc killed him.
yummy
I am grateful to the parents that offer advice based on their knowledge but this man was not trying to help, he was judging and letting everyone know his superior parenting is what has kept his child alive. This man is delusional. I hope his child lives a long healthy life...no one deserves what these kids suffer and no parent should live the hell some of us live but I do hope he reconsiders HOW he imparts his knowledge of caring for a cancer kid. The judgmental and superior attitude is not necessary. Nor is it helpful. most of us carry the weight of great guilt for our coulda, shoulda, wouldas...the last thing we need is to add to that. Some of my greatest memories are of watching Jed eat. Sometimes he would want something so badly and only take one bite....but he got what he really craved and that is what matters.
049
My memories of getting up at 2am to make scrambled eggs with cheese or warm up pizza and fried cauliflower then sitting in bed with him while he ate and made happy noises are completely priceless. The fact that this guy....who has lived this...could be so judgmental to this mom, makes me ill. Dude,,,,learn some people skills and stop the judging and holier than thou attitude.
The whole crew
Chilis for Jed's 12th birthday
Onward...in doing my schedule I realized Jed's 13th birthday is on a Wednesday...my LONG day at school...not sure how I will handle that. I guess I will wait and see. Savannah said..skip classes. I not only don't think I could spend all day away from home, I also do not think I will actually retain anything I learn that day anyway. Like I said..we shall see.
I could make this post days and days long by posting pics of Jed eating....but I will spare you.
We saw DJ and Dave and Connor today at home depot. love them...so much. Danny took Savannah and I to the new local restaurant, Crimson. It was pretty good. Service was great, Danny loved his prime rib. I like it there.
Savannah and I went over to mommo and hops while Adam and Tiersa and The Mac were there. That kid is a nut!! She is so funny! She found a tennis ball and told Savannah " I throw it, you go get it". Savannah said, "no throw it to me". Liv said, "I throw it into traffic" and she did. Then she laughed like hell as Savannah had to run down the street to get the ball....hahahaha.
Oh my, Baby Jed......what can I say that I haven't already said a million times? I MISS YOU. This SUCKS. You know the same old stuff. I took a Penn State balloon to the cemetery today....I also trimmed all the grass but I know you don't care about that! Come see me in my dreams. I miss your smiley face.
Mommy loves you
love J & K

5 comments:

Becky said...

You know I am all sorts of uptight about what goes into my kid's body and STILL that shit happens....and they don't know why, because of all the shit in the air and the water and you just cannot, CANNOT safeguard what your kids are exposed to....it's nice to think you do well by them, but shit still happens and everything in moderation, INCLUDING moderation.
Sometimes you just need a little bit of junk good. It's okay.

xo

Becky said...

I meant food, but I like junk good. Because sometimes it is good!!

Anonymous said...

That guy sucks!

Anonymous said...

I love all the pictures today...i always love them...but today for some reason I love them more...probably b/c we all know and remember Jed's adoration for some good food......All those smiles! Makes me smile while i cry :) Meg

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.